Monday, October 20, 2008

Depression

Have you ever experienced episodes of worthlessness, lethargy, or unexplained tiredness? What about the feeling of suspicions, extremely low mood, loss of interest in the usual things you do, hopelessness, helplessness, and inappropriate guilt or regret?

You might have suffered from depression. And I am no exception to it. I have had episodes of it lately. I felt so useless. Rendered useless and worthless. I have spent so many sleepless nights because of this feeling. My head simply goes pfffft without any warning at all. Sometimes I feel painful spasms and burning sensations on my chest. As if my heart would go berserk that I have palpitations I don't know how to control.

There had been times I feel worthless to live. God forbid. At times I have thoughts of death and dying. But of course my rationality prevails. It should. I must. Because of a thousand and one reasons.

I don't know if people ever notice it. My eyes oftentimes go bloodshot due to sleepless nights. I stare blankly at walls or towards the horizon, often wondering what lies beyond what I could not comprehend.

I often feel so weak, despite my efforts of giving energy food to my body. It has been going on this way for quite a time now. As I write this blog entry, my mind is going somewhere else.

Depression is a serious state of being. Many clinical psychologists have conducted a lot of empirical studies trying to understand this kind of malady that had claimed so many lives. I guess, people around someone in this state of worthlessness should be sensitive enough to feel what sufferers are undergoing. Otherwise, they may add up more to the heavy feelings of the depressed. Perhaps for those who don't ever notice symptoms at all, they may think everything is normal. Usually, it's already too late before they realize that the person might have been suffering already for a long time. And they often realize this when the sufferer is gone.

I am writing this to serve as a strong reminder to all. Be sensitive to the unspoken messages. Don't aggravate the condition that depressed people feel. Be as comforting as you can. You might even be the savior of another wandering soul.