Friday, October 3, 2008

Motherhood...

I wrote this poem on motherhood while waiting for our third baby (2nd baby girl) near the delivery room. My wife had always given birth normally. We don't subscribe to the c-section unless for emergency procedure. I was imagining what was going on while she was inside the DR. I took my pen and scribbled. Karen Jobelle was born on July 29, 2000. I got this published at Poetry.com I guess in 2004. I was able to immortalize the birth of Karen through it. But her birth could be that of anyone. The poem, I believe, captures that moment.

the pain stings cramps hit at intervals
breathing turns to gasps ohh. . . the back aches
pushing, now an exercise
the moon and the stars aren't just there
as witnesses to a life
emerging from a soft tunnel
they shine with a smile
to a miracle of deliverance
the gasps now intermittent
the pain more punishing
the ache heart-breaking
now river flows a life
the stain shows the coming
the cord of bond now cut to seal
a cry heard, a life welcomed
joy overwhelming, sigh of relief sets
birth done. . .
motherhood begins. . .