Monday, September 7, 2009

Manila Ocean Park

My ex-girlfriend and I had the opportunity of going to the Manila Ocean Park yesterday.

The Manila Ocean Park is the first ever oceanarium in the country. I had been to Ocean Adventure in Subic, Zambales which features dolphins, but the M.O.P. offers a different exciting stuff. The fish are segregated into several tanks. The corals are shown live and soft. The collection presents various kinds of fish.

What captured my attention was the tank where the green mussels and barnacles were housed. The water comes unfiltered from the Manila Bay itself. Though not murky in appearance, one could see how dirty the water is. Yet, it is where the green mussel or tahong thrives best. They like the dirt. It must be food for them. It made me rethink my fondness of the tahong.


This was not my first time to have seen the Manila Ocean Park. I was expecting for additional features and improvements. But it seemed to me that only the restaurants and some shopping stalls were the new ones. Same tanks. Same layout. Same features. I haven't noticed any big change after 2 years. The roots of the vines grew longer, though.

Here are a few shots we had.