Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Without Nanang

True enough, we celebrated Christmas 2008 so differently. All is present except for one: our Nanang, our mother. I sat on the gas-lift chair where she used to sit. I stared at everyone, seemingly recording everything that transpired. We all had a share of fun and laughter. The kids enjoyed most, receiving their gifts. Everybody had. I am sure, Nanang must have been so happy watching all of us. Listening to our noise. Seeing all of us present, which rarely happens. Tatang was most joyful. He has all his children and all his grandchildren. It must be a memorable one.

But I know, amidst all the laughters and cheers while we celebrated the birthday of our Lord, deep inside Tatang's heart, it must have been yet painful with the thought that Nanang wasn't there anymore. While he belted one of his favorite songs 'I Can't Stop Loving You' by Ray Charles, I could feel his pain inside his heart. I watched. I listened. I reflected. How I wished we could rewind the time and bring back those moments Nanang was still with us. She would probably giggle as Tatang would belt out the song.

Christmas. We dropped by again at the cemetery where Nanang was laid to rest. It was a beautiful day just being with Nanang. It was a different Christmas. But Nanang must be very happy watching all her children and her grandchildren join Tatang on Christmas day. A happy family indeed. Closer like never before.