Saturday, August 1, 2009

Godspeed, President Cory...

Early today at 3:18 a.m., the beloved icon of Philippine democracy passed away. She was 76.
President Corazon Sumulong Cojuangco Aquino fought hard with the Filipino people an irreversible colon cancer. Her demise was announced officially by her son, Sen. Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III.

"Our mother peacefully passed away at 3:18 a.m. of cardio-respiratory arrest," he told reporters.

It must really be a difficult and trying moment for the family. To lose a mother like Tita Cory is likened to losing your strength in an uphill battle. I experienced it myself when my own mother passed away.

I knew it from the start that when the media began to continuously give newsfeeds on the condition of Tita Cory, her body was about to give in. The inevitable came nearer. But we love her to be with us for more years to come. The Filipino people stormed heavens with prayers for her to recover from the dreaded colon cancer. Up to the end, we never wanted to give up as a people because of our love for Tita Cory. I may not have joined the novena of Masses covered by the media. In my own little way, I asked my students to join me in praying for Tita Cory before and after my classes with them.

When I learned this morning over the radio and television that she has finally passed away and joined the Almighty in heaven, there was a lump in my throat. As I was listening to some tributes over the radio, I felt I was losing again my own mother. Indeed, she was simply a mother to all of us, the Filipino people who are vigilant on the excesses of those in power.

To me, Tita Cory was a woman of strength. She was a woman of principle. She was the symbol of triumph against an oppressive regime. She stood by her husband, Ninoy, in his fight for freedom and democracy for the Filipino people. Though a political novice, she accepted the seat of power in Malacanang with all humility - armed with her strong faith in the Almighty in leading a divided and wounded country. She did not fail the Filipino people in showing there's hope after the dark ages of martial law. As a transition president, she stood ground in rebuilding back the confidence of the people in their government. She instituted reforms that restored back the freedom and democracy that had been robbed from the people during the dark years of martial law. She was steadfast in fulfilling her mission as a transition President despite some series of coup de'tat that wanted to grab power. She did not falter. She showed to the world that though she was a simple widow who was even reluctant to be pitched against the most feared and powerful dictator in a well-machinated election, she can lead a torn nation into a tomorrow that promises a rising sun of hope.

That was Tita Cory. She finished her term in a smooth transfer of power which I witnessed for the first time in my life. I was not able to see how power was transferred during the Macapagal - Marcos ceremony. Perhaps I was too young then.

Now, Tita Cory is gone. But her memories are forever etched in history. To many of us who saw her as the mother of our nation who gave birth to the democracy that we now enjoy, she will be missed so deeply.

I must admit it. Tears welled in my eyes for Tita Cory. When I served in the SMT Parish this late afternoon, another lump choked me as Tita Cory's name was read during the Prayers of the Faithful.

As one radio reporter read on the air Tita Cory's prayer about death, which she personally wrote when she was yet President, my admiration grew stronger. She was a woman of faith. She was a woman of God.

Tita Cory was a gift of God to us, Filipinos. And she will forever be.

Tita Cory, thank you so much for not having chosen to be just an ordinary widow after Ninoy's martyrdom. Thank you for having restored back the dignity of the Filipino nation. Thank you for being a model of faith.

Godspeed, President Cory. Be with Ninoy now and with Jesus. Look down upon us with your motherly love and jolt those who have forgotten the martyrdom of Ninoy and the idealism of his widow.



We love you.

Eternal rest grant unto Tita Cory, O Lord. And let perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. Amen.


Photographs: Reuters