Thursday, August 6, 2009

More than a state funeral

Yesterday's funeral for Tita Cory refreshed back the memories of both EDSA I and the burial of her fallen husband and hero Ninoy.


The 1986 People Power Revolution seemed to have resurrected from the grave of slumber. There was an immense outpouring of gratitude and love for Tita Cory. The Philippines had never before witnessed such a funeral for a family. Only for the Aquinos. Ordinary mortals usually can not even gather a thousand mourners, more so for an interment. Ordinary families usually could reach the cemetery in less than an hour or so. But for Ninoy and Cory, their funeral marches went way beyond 9 hours of solemn procession, flocked by thousands of well-wishers and mourners alike. The sight moved my heart. The images made me wonder when else could we ever witness such funerals again.


I admire the Aquino children for having made a wise decision in not accepting a state funeral for the former President. Perhaps, it would have been a different spirit, a different atmosphere, a different ceremony. True enough, real honor emanated from the Filipino people. Cory's genuine love for the Filipino - his aspirations, his dreams, his struggles - bore fruit of burning love from them. Braving the heat of the sun and the cold heavy downpours, people did not move a bit from where they positioned themselves to bid goodbye to Tita Cory. I glued myself on television watching with my heart than ever before. Tears also rolled down like a river on my cheeks. I could not explain it. I felt the same thing when my beloved Pope John Paul II was about to be interred. I felt the same with the late Jaime Cardinal Sin. The three of them were icons of goodness, sincerity, and serenity of heart. The three of them touched the lives of millions. The three of them were legends of their own. Like Ninoy.
While watching until the end, I was having thoughts of who among the still living Philippine Presidents could muster the same kind of crowd enthusiam and sincerity when it will also his or her turn. I was thinking perhaps Erap might be able to draw also a huge crowd. I doubt if FVR could. What if it were GMA?
One thing is a reality: No other Filipino couple may be able to duplicate the heroism of Ninoy and Cory. It may take me a lifetime to wait for that day when others could emerge like them.
The fever is still on. But I hope that it will not just be a fever. May the spirit of Cory continue to inspire people to aspire for good governance and honesty and integrity both in public and private service.