Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Know I Will Live In You

Sometime in 2000, I scribbled this poem for my 'daughter' Rona. She had inspired me a lot that even up to this day. I guess there is no better way to be immortalized than to reside in the hearts of people, especially someone who loves you so much (other than those who belong to your immediate family). Life is short. It has to be lived meaningfully. For many, they would simply fade away. They would be eaten up in oblivion once they are gone in this world. But for those who choose to be remembered, to be immortalized, they love. They show this love every single minute. Especially with those whose presence is enough to make life beautiful. Rona, to me, is the one beautiful soul God gave me to realize the importance of presence. Of the now. Of wasting time with a flower (from the Little Prince). Of just being you. Of just being there. Like in Tuesdays with Morrie. Ahhh... life has changed since.

I sent this one also to Poetry.com I guess in 2004.


When the time comes for me to bid goodbye
When the time comes for me to die
When the time comes that I’ll be gone
I know my death is a birth undone.

When the time comes to leave you dear
Don’t cry for me, I’ll just be near
The song we sang will be the same
The love I had will burn in flame.

I know I will not simply die
For in your heart, I know I lie
I know I’ll live forever true
‘Cause I know I have a place in you.

The love I dared to share with you
Has brought me joy and heart so blue
But to die is sweet just to live longer
In your heart, I know I’ll grow stronger.

And so when I finally bid goodbye
Don’t be sad and lonely, please don’t cry
I’ll be with you till the end of time
Even when there’ll be no more rhyme.