Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chat

Last night, I had one of my longest chats. And with someone I consider so close to my heart. I missed Ikai that much. I don't know, but I had that special feeling of fondness for Ikai. Why, she was one of my more responsible and very active students way back then. I got a special interest on her because I saw her quite pale and weak. But her looks were deceiving because despite what I perceived her to be, she was ALL OUT with her commitments and practices for the Salamin ng Lahi, a dance troupe she joined which she enjoyed most.

Ikai smiles so sweetly. Her dimples are a sight to behold. She seems to fly in grace as she commands her feet gracefully on stage. She swings her arms so smoothly that I could almost listen to the gentle breeze of the air as her arms would cut the wind so rhythmically. She has music, no wonder. She would gasp for her breath from time to time but she would bubbly go back to her routines once she gains some strength.

I often wondered how she could manage to smile despite her physical exhaustion in practices. Perhaps there was this unexplainable, ecstatic feeling of satisfaction once you knew the audience was captivated by the sways and leaps and forms you did on stage. I had followed her so closely from a distance. And I would let her feel I was concerned with her by reminding her to take a rest and take care of her health, from time to time. Whenever I had a chance even just for a short while to exchange some hi's and hello's along the hallway of the school, her impish smiles on me each time I remind her of her health would be enough to allay my feeling of anxiousness on her pale color.

After some years, now she is a certified pharmacist! Full-fledged. And last night, I chance upon her while she was online on Yahoo Messenger. What a refreshing feeling. I relived those good ol' days when she was yet the little Ikai I had way back then. The Ikai I had put a special place in my heart, which, perhaps she never knew. It felt so good 'talking to her' through chatting.

Ikai, I am so proud of you, do you know that? You just didn't know you had a soft place in my heart. You had. And you still do. Am proud of you!