Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

I chanced upon this very beautiful and touching poem attributed largely to Mary Elizabeth Frye, (1905-2004), but of disputed origin. There had been several versions of this poem but this one old version got the poet in me.

The poem speaks of presence... of reminders... of memories. It speaks of eternity, of love, of life. Of the positive, of the NOW. It is the soul. It's more than the things felt in the absence of another due to the grave. When a person left behind realizes these, the one in the grave is loved so much... And I wish it would also be for me.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.